Seeing as it’s Friday the 13th, we wanted to expel some typical hair and beauty myths! So here we go…
- Myth – If you pluck a grey hair, several more will grow in its place
Truth – Simply not true, when you pluck a hair you’re only affecting the follicle you have picked, not any surrounding it.
- Myth – Getting your hair cut regularly will boost hair growth
Truth – Getting your hair cut will get rid of split ends and hair damage, although actual hair growth is promoted by treating the roots and scalp – Our Hair Recovery Treatments? are perfect for this.
- Myth – You don’t need hair protection for lightning, straightening or styling
Truth – You absolutely do need a hair protection spray or serum, no matter how little you style your hair. Our favourites are …Wella Lux oil – this contains Almond oil, Argan oil and Jojoba oil to moisturise those tortured winter locks.
- Myth – Filing your nails can be done in any direction
Truth – Filing in all directions can lead to breakage and peeling, file in one direction to allow natural growth.
- Myth – Brow colour should always match your hair
Truth – Experimenting with your eyebrow shade can still be super complimentary even if it doesn’t match your hair colour, we recommend going 3 or 4 shades lighter/darker than your natural shade. Eyebrow tints and shaping are available in store.
- Myth – Toothpaste is good for spots
Truth – Toothpaste is NOT good for spots, repeat after me… Toothpaste can irritate the skin and contains properties that are not good for our skin. Come and receive a facial instead and get advice from the experts.
- Myth – Age spots are simply a fact of getting older
Truth – What we call ‘Age spots’ are actually just a result of years of unprotected sun exposure. They can show up anytime in life, even freckles are signs of the sun overexposure. Use daily sun protection to prevent damage to the skin. Ask about out Thalgo sun range with SPF 50 for the face. This is a light non-greasy formula that does not block the pores.
- Myth – If you have greasy hair, you shouldn’t use conditioner
Truth- Absolutely false, greasy hair is due to a build-up of Sebum (An oil your body produces naturally). Your hair ends still need a good bit of love and conditioning. We work with you and your hair type, to gain the best results.
- Myth – You should brush your hair with 100 strokes a day
Fact – This one honestly baffled me and I have no idea where it has come from, but it is certainly an old wives tale and a small amount of gentle brushing is more than enough.
- Myth – Using oil-based products on your face will make your skin break out
Fact – Take this one with a pinch of salt, as with anything, working with your skin is the best way to get the most out of it. A lot of high street moisturisers and cleansers are cream-based, but go for the natural oils and you are in for a win; Avocado, Morrocan and coconut are all great.
- Myth – Pumping your mascara wand is the best way to get the most from it
Fact – Don’t pump the wand! Over pumping will increase the amount of air into the tube and will dry out your product quicker in the long run. One single pump is enough, apply from the base of eyelashes in one long stroke to the top to create gorgeous eyes! Book in for a makeover with our team here.
- Myth – You should switch your shampoo brand frequently to get the benefits of the product
Fact – Like with all beauty products matching the best products to your hair at the time is essential. During winter your hair may need a slightly different treatment than say in summer, so there is some truth in this, but you can always come into the store and we can work with you to find out what’s best.
- Myth – You aren’t pretty, slim, gorgeous, funny enough etc
Fact – You absolutely are more than enough, just the way you are!